CHRONOLOGY (1510-1860)

  1. 1510- Conqueror Alonso de Ojeda, shipwrecks when he went toward the Spaniard, from San Sebastian de Urabá in Gulf of Darién in Colombia. His ships sighted land in the Puerto de Jagua, Cienfuegos. Searching reach Punta de Maisí, they come by land and arriving to the indigenous population of Cueybá, they founded a chapel where they deposited Virgin María's image, being this one, Colón’s image (1494) and Macaca (1509), the three first of Cuba.
  2. 1513- The Cueybá’s Cacique called Cacicaná, was sent to look for for Diego Velázquez de Cuellar, so that participates in the foundation of Bayamo Village.
  3. 1513- Fray Bartolomé de las Casas, carried out baptisms to indigenous in Cueybá.
  4. 1513- The Maniabón conquest takes place to the north of Las Tunas by Francisco de Morales who massacred to the aboriginal ones. The natives were subjugated to the system of estate.
  5. 1603- It is founded the First herd of Las Tunas, being their owner Juan Rivero González, neighbor of Bayamo village.
  6. October 13 of 1729- Las Tunas was divided in seven areas: Cabaniguán, Virama, Las Tunas, Unique, Ochoa, Las Arenas and Aimiquiabo.
  7. 1796- It is founded the town of Las Tunas, around San Jerónimo Parish, because the neighbors of country estates, herbs and corrals had built so many haylofts for religious celebrations, many of which stayed to live in them and the owners of the adjacent estates donated lands and they called to neighbors and slaves to found the town. It has been chosen for this celebration, September 30, day of the Patron saint of Las Tunas city.
  8. August 27 of 1821- The First Meeting of Sanity was constituted, chaired by Mayor the First Don Francisco José de Agüero, as Vice-president, The parish priest, Vicar of Las Tunas, José Rafael Fajardo, and integrated by general practitioner Lorenzo Sosa, Grad. Manuel González, the chief magistrates Juan Manuel Figueredo and Rafael Mora; as well as Blas María Piña and Andrés Montes de Oca.
  9. October 28 of 1821- The first militia corp was founded leading by captain Joaquín Montes de Oca and integrated by two mayors, two lieutenants, two sub-lieutenants, one staff sergeant and five others sergeants, six first officers and six second officers .
  10. 1823- The people’s prison was built, designating as its Governor the retired sergeant Don Francisco Salazar. From 1821, and until that date, the criminals were punished in a traveling stocks that was placed in a rented piece. . If the criminals were of good position they was paid the expenses during the prison, if they were indigent or slave the neighbors financed them.
  11. 1846: The urban part of Las Tunas, was populated by a 1 275 neighbors, from which 723 were white, 390 free and 162 slaves. This year, 142 stone houses and two cover with mud and palm leaf. There were also two schools, one for girls and other for males.
  12. August 25 of 1837- The Spaniards added to the city the mark of "Faithful town of Las Tunas."
  13. 1846- The village of San Miguel de Manatí, possessed a Copper mines that it exploded using Asian slaves. The same one collapsed and it were prisoners inside her more than a hundred Chinese, which ones could not be rescued and in her they found sepulture.
  14. 1847- Las Tunas had an extension of 229 square leagues. It possessed five geniuses, 346 work places and estates, 182 cattle ranch and 399.5 caballerías(Cuban land measure) in crop. They were sustained with 3 637 head of horses, 51 957 cattle and 13 535 of sows.
  15. 1847- it was segregated part of the territory of Manatí and San Agustín to add it to Las Tunas and to conform government prevailing tendency, which was established December 20. Don José Morales, who was the first governor lieutenant, he also was the captain of the artillery regiment of Galicia. The government prevailing tendency was signed the then Governor General of the Island of Cuba Leopoldo O´ Donell, December 6 at the present year.
  16. 1848- The title of Villa was conferred on Las Tunas, granting it the own administrative area.
  17. July 8 of 1851- Joaquín de Agüero y Agüero (from Camagüey), in coordination with Francisco Grave de Peralta, Julián Santana, Pablo Colibar y Ramón Ortuño, among other from Las Tunas province, carries out an assault to Las Tunas, with the purpose of grant the independence to Las Tunas and to set out from here the independence of Cuba.
  18. 1852- Las Tunas has four neighborhoods named Hormiguero, Colón, Fomento and Jurisdicción.
  19. 1853- For royal letters patent is granted to Las Tunas the title of City.
  20. November 6 of 1859- the date in which El Hórmigo newspaper first came out, located in La Cruz Verde street (Today Nicolás Heredia), now infantile park.
  21. 1859- it is published in "El Hórmigo" printing house the first brochure titled " Ordenanzas municipales del fiel pueblo de Las Tunas."
  22. February 28 of 1860- It is published in the same printing house the first book "Flores Del Alma" whose author was Manuel Agustín Napoles Fajardo, brother of El Cucalambé. Manuel Agustín signed his writings with the anagram of “Sanlope”, corresponding to his last name. Because he was the author of the first book published in Las Tunas, his anagram was chosen to gives it names to the current publishing house in Las Tunas city.
  23. 1860- The country estate Santa Bárbara de Viristerí; acquired that one by José Pla Monges and Justo San Miguel got 18 Caballerías where José Aldaña was the administrator. The endowment of African slaves ascended at 368, which were used fundamentally in leveled and opening grounds, as well as the conditioning of the sugar plantation.